I need your help deciding how to use the free Windows7 Ultimate license Microsoft gave away yesterday. I want to use it on my laptop but need some considered feedback on how would be best?
Current Laptop Config
- 4GB of RAM – may put 8GB in later
- 320GB disk
- Main OS is Vista-64bit Home Premium
- VirtualBox 3.0.6 for Virtual Machines
- WinXP Pro
My initial thoughts are to
- replace Vista with Win7-64
- eventually remove my WinXP-Pro VirtualBox
- use the built-in WinXP Compatibility layer
I spend 14 hrs a day in the xubuntu VM and only boot WinXP to run Quicken, a few MS apps and access TrueCrypt data. Perhaps 3 times a week.
- How good is the USB support in the WinXP VM?
- HDMI output?
- GigE networking – WiFi networking?
- How good is the driver compatibility for Win7-64? All-in-One Fax, printer, scanner, old Creative Xen and built-in laptop camera are the only devices I see using, in addition to normal flash and ext USB disk drives.
- Hauppauge 950Q ClearQAM TV tuner must work.
- Does Media Center work with this TV tuner and ClearQAM? The current MCE doesn’t.
- Can I consider Win7-32bit at all. Does it access the full 4GB of RAM? Is an upgrade to Win7 64-bit easy?
- TrueCrypt, MS-Visio, MS-Office 2007, and VideoRedoPlus are the only uses for Windows that I have. No gaming, er … very little gaming.
- Run Win7 in a VM, get used to it. Decide later
- Backup the data and VMs, repartition the disk for OS, Apps, Data, and install Win7 ??-bit as the main OS
- 32-bit or
Thoughts and suggestions? Did I miss an option?
Use the following link to trackback from your own site: