DR Part 2-Preparation is Key
This is a multi-part series on family disaster recovery planning. Are you ready? Is your family ready?
[ Back to Part 1 ]
- Plastic / rubber-made container
(water resistant/floats) to carry this stuff
- Flashlight w/ batteries
- 2 BIC Lighters
- 3+ candles
- Roll of paper towels
- 3 Rolls of toilet paper (extra soft)
- AM/FM/TV Radio (crank powered would be nice)
- Multi-tool / leather-man
- Survival knife with sharpening stone
- 50 ft of cord/nylon rope
- Prescriptions / Drugs
- Toiletries (contacts, glasses, soap, shampoo,
- Shoes (tennis, hiking, casual)
- Coats / rain gear / winter weather
- Paper / notebook / pencil / pen
- Cell phone / charger
- USB Thumb-drives with emergency info
Web sites and passwords ENCRYPTED
- Work Badge / Identification / SecurID token
(relocation is bad, but if I can’t work,
then how do I pay for the hotel?)
- Drinking Water / Containers / Plastic cups (at least 1
gal per person)
- 3 days of non-perishable food per person
- Camping equipment / tent / sleeping bag /
backpack / space blanket
- Camera / film
- 12 or 24 Pak of AA Batteries
Important Papers and Business
- Laptop w/ power cord (work & personal)
- Critical data DVD with server backup (encrypted)
- Firesafe with investment, insurance, birth cert,
- Credit cards
- Wallet w/ emergency cash & Passport & Keys
- Address book / Paper emergency Contacts
/ Neighbor phone numbers
- Tax Papers (if not on DVD/laptop)
- IPod (books on tape)
- Paperback books on survival / natural living
- Gas (full tank if you can plan ahead)
never let get below 1/4 tank so water and
sediment content doesn’t get too high
- Maps Local / State / National
- Tools (wrenches, sockets, etc.)
- Spare gas can / siphon hose
- Duct Tape
- First Aid Kit
h3. Got More Time, say an hour?
- Photo Albums / Family photos and heirlooms
- VoIP Gizmo / unpowered phone
- Network Equipment / KVM
- Server / Monitor
- USB Backup Drive
- USB MediaGate
- Phone book
- Software & DVD Collection
- Cooler & food
Ok, with all this stuff, be certain you can close your car trunk/doors. What’s missing?
- Do your kids have what they need? Family contact information, etc.
- Will your lost 8 year old be able to contact family?
- Do you have a meeting place out of town? Grandma’s place?
- Is there a family central communications place where everyone can leave messages for others and provide status that will be shared?
- Is there a back up place if the primary is where the disaster is happening?
- Do all immediate and remote family members know the plan?
How to pack light
[ Back to Part 1 ] [
Forward to Part 3 ]