For the last … 7+ yrs, I’ve been paying about $10/yr for a cell phone plan.
Just added my annual $10 to the pre-paid account a few minutes ago to keep all the minutes alive for another 365 days.
Also, if it isn’t clear, I’ve had a smartphone for the last 2 yrs and only a voice plan. No data. Data works great from wifi. GPS also works if you cache the maps or if you use an offline map program like NAVFree. No Data Required Apps
I’ve described this $10/yr Cell Phone Plan before for anyone new to my blog.
- It might not work for many people, but it does work for many more than who are using it.
- If you are into minimizing, it could be for you.
- If you have a home phone AND a work phone, it could be for you.
- If you avoid talking when driving, it could be for you.
- If you don’t chat on your cell phone, it could be for you. Mainly emergency use and a few out-plans-have-changed calls every week.
- If you don’t need a data plan to earn a living, it could be for you.
There have been times when not having a data plan has been bad, but that happens only when I’m overseas and unlikely to have a data plan for the limited time there anyway.
Between dumping CableTV and not having a monthly cell bill, I’m easily saving $2000/yr.
Our electrical bill is in the lowest 1% for similar homes, so saving much there probably isn’t possible. Ceiling fans.
Our water and gas bills are routinely at the monthly minimal charge just to have service, so saving much there probably isn’t possible.
We could cut back on expensive foods and alcohol. Perhaps not.
Any other ideas for saving money from monthly expenses?
BTW, the pre-paid plan balance is $79+ after adding the $10 more today.